Details about the Dean’s office
Responsible for the operational management and administrative direction of a student affairs unit and/or function with broad responsibility. This position directs the long-range strategic planning, operations, and/or administrative activities of a department or major function including but not limited to Student Affairs, Admissions, Student Finance, Student Records, and Study Abroad. Analyzes the effectiveness of and establishes future direction for functional policies and programs. The primary duty is the management of other managers, professionals, and support staff*. This position reports to a Vice President, Assistant/Associate Vice President, Associate Dean, or other appropriate administrator. This position may not report to another Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
Job functions are specific duties that would be included in the essential functions of the job description. These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Responsible for the strategic alinement, long-term planning, and management oversight of major college, campus, or university-wide student affairs office or function in areas including, but not limited to, student affairs, student finance, admissions, student records, and study abroad programs.
- Translates strategic and tactical business plans into student operational plans. Has latitude to make operational decisions within broadly defined parameters and decisions require a high level of judgment. Deviations from university policies generally require higher managerial approval.
- Establishes the direction, goals, implementation strategy, and policies of the department or unit within an administrative area.
- Directs the efforts of and supervises departmental staff, sets performance standards and accountability. Has the authority to propose, uphold, modify, or revoke notices of proposed dismissals or suspensions.
- Formulates and administers the annual operating budget. With appropriate approval, may procure agreements for materials or services.
- Advises senior administrators in implementing programs, new initiatives, and special projects.
- Responsible for ensuring all programs, activities, and series comply with university, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining partnerships throughout the University. Oversees communications, promotions, and public relations for departments in order to achieve departmental goals and objectives.
- Serves on various university, division, and departmental committees and represents the department at various state and national associations.
- Responsible for maintaining an inclusive working environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.